Welcome to Independent Living Vernon!
OUR OFFICE IS OPEN MONDAY TO THURSDAY 8:30 - 4PM. CLOSED FOR LUNCH NOON - 12:30
An alternative approach to the traditional medical/rehabilitation service delivery model. The IL philosophy promotes and encourages an attitude of self-direction in consumers so that can negotiate and access the community services and resources they require in order to participate as equal citizens in their community. The Il philosophy recognizes the rights of individuals with disabilities to assume risks and make choices.
Five Basic Principles of Independent Living
1.Consumer Control-the services provided at Independent Living are controlled by a Board of Directors with a majority of its members being people with disabilities.
2. Cross Disability: the centre addresses the needs of all people with disabilities regardless of the disability type.
3. Community Based: the centre responds to local community needs.
4. Integration: the centre promotes full participation of people with disabilities in the Community.
5. Non-profit- the centre functions to meet stated goals and objectives without a profit motive.
To create sustainable community links,to work for societal change and to remove barriers so that people with disabilities have the opportunity to realize their full potential.
Board of Directors Nomination Kit
If you are interested in becoming a member of the ILV Board of Directors, this is a link to the Nomination Kit which holds information for this. Board Nomination Kit May 2017.doc
Cycling for Independence
Turned out to be a great fundraiser again. Even though there was a lower number of riders then usual, there was still an excellent amount raised in donations, especially when combined with the amount raised through the Spring On-line Auction that was in partnership with United Way. The grand total was $7200!!!!!
For more information contact: Lisa Kongsdorf 250-545-9292 ext. 206 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Drop in with Lisa
Assistance with the services provided for people with a variety of disabilities. Thursdays 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Youth Opportunities Unlimited (YOU Group)
Please have a look on the tab "What we do" and then click on "Peer Support" for further information.
Youth Transitioning Support Drop-in
- Youth with disabilities transitioning into adulthood.
- Discover different avenues you can take and choices you can make
- Support with navigating through this process
Thursdays, 2:00 - 4:00pm or by appointment.
For more information please contact Crystal Williams by phone at 250-545-9292 or e-mail email@example.com